The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) provide advice for UK citizens travelling overseas and Sport Lived is an approved FCO partner. Their website www.fco.gov.uk provides detailed information on overseas destinations and outlines any trouble hotspots in their section: Travel advice by country.
The FCO also has a section on people undertaking gap years which we recommend that you read. In the event of a problem arising in one of Sport Lived's destinations, we will be in contact with the FCO to ensure that we have the latest information. We recommend that you also regularly check their website.
Know Before You Go (KBYG) is a travel campaign launched by the FCO. The KBYG campaign works with nearly 500 travel partners who promote their key messages detailed below.
KBYG Key Messages
• Having a suitable travel insurance policy and being aware of all the terms and small print involved
• Checking the FCO’s country travel advice for any destination you are planning to visit
• Researching your destination; knowing the laws and customs of each country, knowing which are different to that of the UK, and being aware of what sort of behaviour may attract attention or get you into trouble
• Being aware of any health risks in your destinations and getting immunised where applicable
• Checking you have a valid passport and visa for the destination you are visiting
• Taking copies of any relevant and important documents or using online storage facilities to keep your copies safe
• Telling someone where you’re going, when you plan to be back and providing relevant contact information
• Bringing sufficient money